CLINICAL CONNECTION ACTIVITY FOR CHAPTER 6 − DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
Objective: Apply and understand how medical terms are used in the clinical environment.
Complete the clinically related sentences by selecting a medical term from the table below.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
1. The physician informs a patient that she has an inflammation of the saliva-producing glands. This disorder is commonly known as __________________________________.
2. A patient diagnosed with angina pectoris is prescribed sublingual nitroglycerin as needed for chest pain. You explain that sublingual means that the nitroglycerin tablet should be placed __________________________________ the tongue.
3. An adolescent goes to the dentist for a 6-month check-up and cleaning. During the appointment, the dentist recommends she be examined by a specialist who straightens the teeth. This specialist is known as a(n) __________________________________.
4. Sarah M. goes to the clinic complaining of burning in the chest. The physician orders an endoscopy because he suspects the burning is of gastrointestinal origin. The endoscopy reveals inflammation of the stomach and esophagus, which is commonly known as _________________________________.
5. A patient with a history of alcohol abuse comes to the emergency department vomiting blood. You document this finding as __________________________________.
6. While performing a colonoscopy, the physician notes a tumor that appears noncancerous. A noncancerous tumor is referred to as __________________________________.
7. TCLINICAL CONNECTION ACTIVITY FOR CHAPTER 6 − DIGESTIVE SYSTEMhe physician orders a test to visualize the last section of the colon in a patient suspected of having colon cancer. This test is known as a __________________________________.
8. Michael W. comes to the clinic complaining of painful digestion, which he began experiencing after taking a new medication. You report this adverse reaction, known as _________________________, to the physician so that he can discontinue the medication.
9. A patient with a history of alcohol abuse is admitted with shortness of breath. During the admission assessment, you palpate the patient’s abdomen and note an enlarged liver. The term __________________________________ best describes an enlargement of the liver.
10. A 45-year-old obese patient comes to the emergency department complaining of abdominal pain after eating fried food. Diagnostic testing reveals stones or calculi in the common bile duct. The emergency department doctor consults the surgeon and reports his finding, known as __________________________________.
11. John J. comes to the doctors office with complaints of a 20-pound weight loss over the past 2 months and frequent indigestion. Computed tomography scanning reveals a tumor in the stomach. The doctor recommends a surgical procedure that removes a portion of the stomach, known as a __________________________________.
12. A patient with a history of severe depression comes to the hospital after ingesting the poison ethylene glycol. The syndrome that follows the ingestion of a poison is known as a __________________________________.