You are returning to Vegas following a summer break in Seattle where the temperature is around 70 F.
You are returning to Vegas following a summer break in Seattle where
the temperature is around 70 F. You will fly your personal Beachcraft King/Queen
Air. Naturally, you are in a hurry to get back so you can be in ME 402/602 class on
time. Somehow, my class is attractive ?. So you wish to choose a cruise altitude to
minimize your total flight time. Here is the data you need to make you decision.
• You are flying a total distance L=1820 km.
• The King/Queen air can climb at a rate dh / dt = 540 m/min
• The groundspeed during the climb is = 240 km/hour
• You plan a descent at dh / dt = -500 m/min
• Your ground speed during descent will be = 460 km/hour
• Your cruise speed of the king/Queen Air varies with altitude as:
Vx= 415 + 0.0291h – (1.99×10-6 h2)for Vx in km/hour and h in m.What is the altitude you want to cruise at